Victim Resources

After a Crime: Reporting and Recovery

Being a crime victim is a traumatic experience, and Tulane offers many resources to help victims move to the mental and emotional status of survivor.

When a crime has happened to you, report it as soon as possible. If you are not sure of the type of crime that you have been the victim of, please review the list of reportable crimes here. This may seem obvious, but victimized and confused people often find it difficult to make decisions. Call the Tulane University Police Department, the local police department where the crime occurred, or someone else who can offer support and assist in reviewing possible options. Understand that the Tulane Police Department can assist you in making decision after a crime, but may not be responsible for investigating the crime in all cases.

Seek a safe location or lock the door once the attacker has left. Preserve evidence. This advice may offer valuable legal options if a complainant wishes later to bring charges against the attacker. If you have been the victim of a sexual assault, do not urinate, shower, discard clothing or disturb anything the attacker may have handled.

Victims of rape or sexual assault are also encouraged to seek medical attention and use the helping resources with the Tulane and New Orleans community. These resources can help to shorten the process of recovery. All crime victims have options in confronting their aggressor.

The choices listed below speak directly to victims of sexual aggression but can apply to all crime victims.

Report the incident to the Tulane Police Department.

We offer the option of helping the complainant report the incident to the New Orleans Police Department, or investigating the case ourselves. In the latter case, we will make a report of the investigation and refer it to the Office of Student Affairs, which is responsible for adjudicating the complaint under the Student Code of Conduct - organizes a hearing process, renders a finding, imposes possible sanctions, and informs the complainant and person charged of it 's findings. Neither the public safety department nor the student affairs office will release a complainant's name to the public or the press. Remember the Office of Victim Resources will assist you in exercising any of these listed options.

Report the incident to the local police department.

After receiving the report of a rape, the police may send uniformed officers to verify that a rape of sexual assault has occurred. Once the complaint is verified, detectives will arrive and interview the complainant. The officers will recommend a rape and medical exam to determine and treat injuries, prevent pregnancy and begin testing for sexually transmitted diseases. The doctor or S.A.N.E. (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) nurse also collects evidence that will be admissible in court. The complainant will be asked to press formal charges against the attacker; then a police report will be forwarded to the district attorney's office, which will accept or reject the charges. If the charges are accepted, the case then continues through the criminal legal system.

Report the incident to on-campus resources.

Individuals may also report a sexual assault to Tulane University's Title IX Coordinator who is responsible for coordinating the university's Title IX compliance. The Title IX Coordinator can be contacted at the Office of Institutional Equity located at 200 Broadway, Suite 105A or at 504-862-8083. Individuals may also report a sexual assault to Tulane's Office of Student Resources and Support Services, which coordinates accommodations and resources for victims of sexual assault through its Office of Violence Prevention and Support Services. Incidents of sexual assault can be reported to the Office of Student Resources and Support Services by calling the on-call staff member at 504-920-9900 of by filing an online report at

Report the incident to the local police department and the Tulane University Police Department and go through both systems of redress.

Decline to report the rape or sexual assault to any police agency.
Mediation and written forms of confrontation.
Explore options of confronting the attacker that do not involve the criminal justice system or the university's code of conduct.


The issue in life isn't whether we will experience tragedy; the issue is how will we recover from it?

As a victim of a crime it is helpful to recognize that the experience is traumatic. Feeling violated and vulnerable because someone has forcefully entered your private space and rifled through personal belongings is an understandable reaction to property crime. Fear that other types of crime may happen is also a common reaction.

Responses to a crime may range from sleep or appetite problems, which are temporary to problems of concentration and irritability. Most of these symptoms may gradually fade after talking with friends, family or a counselor. If you have been a victim of a personal crime by a stranger or acquaintance that involved a physical, armed or sexually aggressive confrontation, we encourage you to seek support.

Any member of the Tulane community who has been the victim of a crime has access to a wide range of services through the Office of Crime Prevention and Victim Resources, including referral to rape-aware counselors and counseling groups on and off campus, advice on safe housing, help with personal security concerns and academic assistance.

They or other members of the university community will be available to meet with family members upon the request of the complainant to help answer questions and give family and friends suggestions on how to support a crime victim. All services listed in the next section are confidential.

Contact Information

Tulane Office of Crime Prevention and Victim Resources: A source of information and assistance for improving personal security. Provides escorts as victims go through the criminal justice system, and offers victim-aware referrals for academic, legal, housing, medical and counseling assistance. 504-865-5381.

Tulane CAPS: Personal counseling for a wide variety of issues including individual crisis intervention services. 504-314-2277.

Tulane Employee Assistance Program: A confidential counseling referral service that offers three free counseling sessions. United Health Care.

Tulane SAPHE: A 24-hour volunteer education, information and support service for students who have experienced an incident of sexual aggression. This group offers a wide selection of confidential support. Caller may express a preference for assistance from student, staff and or faculty volunteers. 504-654-9543

Tulane Student Health Services: Social work, health education and drug and alcohol counselors and a psychiatric division as well as medical support; for students. 504-865-5255

Office of Institutional Equity: For those experiencing sexual harassment. 504-865-5280

Tulane Religious Life Staff: Available for support counseling and referrals to other community services. Contact the preferred religious center or call 504-866-8681

Tulane Student Affairs Office (504-314-2188) and Housing and Residence Life Staff (504-865-5724): For support, problem solving, discipline and referral.

Metropolitan Center for Women and Children: An off-campus service offering information, immediate crisis support, group therapy and individual counseling sessions. They supply support and safe shelter for people experiencing aggression from a friend, relative, or a lover. 504-837-5400