The purpose of these web pages is to provide you with information regarding the issuance and regulation of the statewide concealed handgun permits.
It is prohibited to carry concealed handguns onto the premises of Tulane University Health Sciences Center. This prohibition applies to everyone, including those with concealed handgun permits.
Act 4 of the First Extraordinary Session of the 1996 Legislature amended and re-enacted R.S. 40:1379.3 providing for the issuance of statewide concealed handgun permits by the Deputy Secretary of the Department of Public Safety & Corrections (DPS). The permit grants statewide authority to a citizen to carry a concealed handgun on his person. A handgun is defined as "a type of firearm commonly referred to as a pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition." It does not include "shotguns or rifles that have been altered by having their stocks or barrels cut or shortened."
Here is a list of the Louisiana Criminal Code Statutes concerning the Illegal carrying of weapons. They will be helpful in understanding the responsibilities that come with the ownership of a firearm and the restrictions that apply to concealed weapon permits.
- 14:95. Illegal carrying of weapons
- 14:95.1. Possession of firearm or carrying concealed weapon by a person convicted of certain felonies
- 14:95.2. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone
- 14:95.3. Unlawful use of body armor
- 14:95.4. Consent to search; alcoholic beverage outlet
- 14:95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet
- 14:95.6. Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties
- 14:95.7. Possession of or dealing in firearms with obliterated number or mark
- 14:95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile